30 Fat Loss Tips: Points to Remember
To beginners, losing weight seems to be a very difficult task. However, losing weight is not a very difficult task if you have the proper knowledge and motivation to do the same. To help you with the knowledge part, here I bring to you 30 Fat Loss Tips.
Fat Loss Tips
1) Good Nutrition and Exercise: I know this may not sound like a tip at all but believe me when I say that this is the most important thing to take care of when you want to lose weight. As they say, fat loss is all about watching what you eat and expending more energy than that you get through your diet. This is it. Losing fat is all about the numbers. You need to be in caloric deficit for your body to use fat reserves. For example, if you intake 2400 calories per day and expend 2900 calories per day, you will have used fat reserves of 500 calories that day. In a week, that would be 3500 calories. In simple words, you would have lost 1 pound of weight in the week. So, how will you expend more energy than you intake? Reduce your intake or increase your expenditure. Exercising is a good way to increase your calorie expenditure.
2. Improve your lifestyle: Watching what you eat is not supposed to be a short term task. If you stop tracking your calorie intake and expenditure once you have reached your goals, you are very likely to gain back any weight you may have lost. It is hence important not to consider this as a “diet”, but as improving your lifestyle. Remember, this is a long journey, not a small trip.
3. Keep track of your gains (before and after photos): It is very easy to get demotivated after 2-3 weeks of being on a diet & exercise program when you do not see noticeable changes. There may be many reasons why you are not noticing any changes. However, it is important that you continue working. As the changes are gradual, you may not notice them if you look at the mirror everyday. What you should be doing is taking photos at regular intervals, maybe every 15 days or every month. Keep taking pics at regular intervals and you will be able to notice changes in the pics soon.
4. Stop looking for magic pills: Take any fitness magazine and look at the various advertisements that they are running. I can guarantee you that you will find at least 1 new capsule/tablet/tonic/pill every month that promises to help you reduce fat quickly. While most of them are plain ineffective or even dangerous, there are a few that may help you lose fat provided some conditions are met. What may these conditions be? Simple. You need to watch your diet and exercise. As I said in point 1, these two together can give you the best results. There is no MAGIC PILL. Stop looking for those.
5. Keep a steady Pace: I have known too many stories of people trying to lose weight quickly for some occasion and then gaining it all back just as quickly. There are many diets/pills that promise to help you lose 3-4 pounds per week. However, you should try not to go for it even if it is possible. You should ideally be maintaining a steady pace of 1-2 pounds per week. Less than that and you are not putting enough efforts or not calculating all your intake. More than that and it’s time to slow down a bit.
6. Avoid Muscle Loss: When you starve your body or go into calorie deficit mode, your body has the option of either using muscle or fat reserves. It differs from person to person but most often, the body uses a combination of both. Muscles help you burn more fat and are essential to maintain a good body composition. You do not want to lose them. What you do want to lose is FAT. In order to maintain your muscle and to increase your FAT loss speed, you need to include regular exercise in your regimen.
7. Choosing an Exercise: Different type of exercise suits different type of people. Some like to do full body workouts while some life splits. Some like to run while sun prefer jogging. Find the right mix of exercises that suits you and include both aerobic and anaerobic exercises in your schedule.
8. Start reading labels: Watching what you eat is a very important part of losing fat. You need to control what goes inside your system and an important part of this is to read labels on all food products you buy. It may not seem so important initially but it is very important that you read the ingredients list and the serving sizes. Don’t assume what it is. READ.
9. Have realistic goals: It is very important that you understand the process of weight loss and have realistic goals for the same. Losing 30 pounds in a week is not possible unless you spend all your time on the treadmill and do not eat anything and are not human as this is not humanly possible. Remember that slow and steady wins the race. Keep a steady pace and go for 1-2 pounds fat loss per week.
10. Drink enough water: I do not know why but most people drink a lot less water than what is ideal. This is seen even more frequently with people who want to lose fat. Avoid this. Drinking enough water helps you in many ways and is essential for your survival. Not drinking the required amount of water will hamper your progress.
11. Remove bad food from your diet: It is very important for your to remove processed food and food products high in bad calories from your diet. What are bad calories? Not all nutrition is equal. Some food products have very good nutritional value. Ex. Egg. Some others have very poor nutritional value. Ex. Fast food and Alcohol (Yes, it counts) Try to cut out all products with bad calories from your diet. If you were to follow this properly, you would see noticeable gains from this step alone.
12. Artificial sweeteners don’t help: The society has painted sugar as evil. Want to avoid gaining fat? Replace sugar with artificial sweeteners!! Want to lose fat? Start using artificial sweeteners instead of sugar!! So, do you really think artificial sweeteners are any better than sugar? The truth is that they are not. They are just as bad as sugar, if not more. The reason that artificial sweeteners do not help your efforts is the fact that they trick your brain into eating more of other items. Read this to know more.
13. Don’t get disheartened by a bad day: There will be days when due to some reasons (marriages, birthdays, parties), you will have to eat much more than your calorie goal for that day. Do not feel guilty or disheartened by this. Though it is true that you may have potentially set back your progress for the whole day or two, it should not be reason enough to give up the efforts. Start your diet again from the next day and get back on track.
14. Walk a lot more: Did you know that walking is amongst the most efficient fat burning exercises? The only problem is that you cannot walk too much in your day to day lifestyle. However, you can try to walk as much as possible. Avoid taking your car for short distances. Take the stairs instead of the elevators. Walk your dog. Go out for a romantic walk on the beach. It doesn’t matter what the reason is. Start walking a lot more.
15. Don’t boycott fat: One of the most common mistakes that people make when they start a diet is the complete boycott of fat. There are some good fats and there are some bad fats. Try to reduce the bad fat and increase the amount of good fat in your diet. Some amount of fat is essential for your day to day functioning. This is why there is a term called essential fats.
16. Skip advertisements on TV: A study done by University of California has found that it watching advertisements containing images of high calorie foods triggers the hunger bell in your brain. So, fast forward the ads or change the channel.
17. Eat from smaller plates: Believe it or not, eating from smaller plates instead of large ones makes you eat less. It is all about tricking the brain into thinking it is eating more than what it actually is. Read this to know more about this.
18. Change the music: Research has found that playing upbeat music while exercising (running, jogging, etc.) naturally quickens your pace and can result in burning of more calories.
19. Eat Slowly: I know that this does not sound helpful when you first read it but it is true that if you eat slowly, you will be eating lesser than usual. How?? It takes some time before signals from your stomach reach your brain and it knows that you are full. Eating slowly will ensure that you do not eat a lot EXTRA during the time it takes for the signal to reach the brain. Finding it difficult to eat slowly? Eat with your non-dominant hand.
20. Stop making excuses: One of the most common things people will say when asked why they are not putting any efforts to lose fat is that they do not have enough time. STOP MAKING EXCUSES. I can understand that you are a very busy person. However, it is not impossible to find half an hour for your body if you actually want to find it.
21. Limit liquid calories: It is a fact that your body does not count liquid calories as well as it counts calories from solid food. This is why it will not register that you are full even if you have just drunk a lot of alcohol. Try to limit your intake of calories from liquid sources such as alcohol, juice, soft drinks, etc.
22. Don’t compensate for exercise with food: One of the biggest mistakes that many people make while trying to lose fat is that they compensate for exercise with more food. The common thought process behind this goes something like this “I exercised for 30 minutes extra. I guess I can eat that chocolate pie today”. Avoid falling into this trap. It is normal to feel more hungry after doing exercise. If you cannot control the urge, eat something low calorie after exercising.
23. Too much healthy food is not healthy: Many people believe that as long as they are eating healthy food, they need not worry about the volume. While eating more healthy food is good for you, any excess calories that you do not burn turn to fat no matter how healthy the food source is. Hence, do not overeat healthy foods.
24. Carry a Food Diary: Carry a notepad with you and note down everything you eat or drink, even water. Do this for a week and you will see how you are underestimating the calories you intake. You will also get enough ideas on which items you can remove from your diet.
25. Switch to Ordinary Coffee: Stop drinking coffee from fancy coffee joints and start making your own ORDINARY Coffee. The coffee you drink from most of the coffee joints includes several hundreds of calories while ordinary coffee can taste just as great with a fraction of the calories.
26. The 2/3rd rule: When you are out eating at any restaurant or at a friend’s place, remove 1/3rd of the food you got served from your plate. You would be surprised to know that just by doing this simple step every time, you would be eating a lot less. Studies find that if you serve people more food, they’ll eat more food, regardless of their hunger level. The converse is also true: Serve
yourself less and you’ll eat less.
27. Get Enough Sleep: Your body needs an average of 8 hours of sleep every night. Several studies have found that lack of sleep can hinder your fat loss goals.
28. Include more fiber in your diet: It is important to include foods that are high in fiber in your diet. They will help you flush dangerous toxins from your body. They also help you by suppressing your appetite as fiber rich foods take a long time to digest. On top of this, you can also reduce your blood cholesterol levels by this.
29. Dinner timing is crucial: Give your body at least 3 hours to digest your dinner before you go to sleep. If you eat just before going to bed, your body will have lots of undigested food which it will digest during the night. Now, your metabolism is very slow during night and hence, you will accumulate more fat in this case.
30. Include more spicy food in your diet: Believe it or not, eating more spicy food helps you lose more fat by boosting your metabolism. With a faster metabolism, you will burn more calories than what you would normally do.